Thursday, April 7, 2011

George (Twenty-Five)

I held both their wrists, announced to the crowd the scores. 77-75, 76-76, 77-75 for the winner. Raised George's wrist as high as I could, but since he was still pretty tall, only lifted it like 3 quarters of the way up. George hopped around on his stiff pin, then grabbed his family and left the gym quick as he could.
Viktor slumped away, looking like he lost everything a 2nd time. He left the ring, but his family went to him, and Tanya went over and hugged him. Viktor kept crying something into Tanya's hair, but she kept saying it was all right [I had to look up the translation, but he kept saying, “I'm sorry.” -Dara].
After a while, Viktor calmed down, invited his family, his corner, and me and Dara out to dinner, cause at least they were all together, and they needed to celebrate this, win or lose. Dara went with, while I said I was tired, but I thanked him, finally gave him my card. Tired as he was, he still bear hugged me and lifted me off the ground.
Saw them off from Stu's, then thanked Stu for all his help. He threw a right hook at my head, and I barely dodged it. Stu just said that making sure my reflexes were still good was thanks enough.
I dropped by the Vanguard. George let me in, looked so pleased. Leaned back in his chair, lit a cigar. While his family went to dinner, he was taking care of all the paperwork they'd need to make sure he could keep the Vanguard. Told me that things couldn'ta worked out better, between the Vanguard and Viktor. Handed me a final check settling up, and 2 tickets to the opera. Told me it was an extra thank you, for everything I done.
I told him he shoulda talked to Tanya and Viktor and the family afterwards. He said there wasn't nothing to say, that was all in the past, and he'd moved on, now, finally. He was gonna make things better, do everything right, take care of his family and the Vanguard. That was all that mattered now.
Asked him if he wondered whatever happened to the baby. His eye twitched, but he said it wasn't his responsibility, and the kid probably got adopted by a good family. Told him I thought he did. Shook his hand one last time, even though I didn't really want to. It was good business.
Outside, I put my fist through the ticket window glass, then tore up the check and sprinkled the bits on the counter. Now we were even. Bad for business, but I didn't plan on talking to him anymore. Time to move on, look towards the future.
Went back to the station, and locker 3917. That was a lot of flush. Too much. Part of me just wanted to catch a bus south, not look back. But what's an old slob like me gonna do then? Sit around, get fatter and lazier, waste the rest of my life? Took it straight to Father Julien. Told him not to ask questions, just to help the kids with it. Walked outta there quick as I could, before I changed my mind. Walked back in there to ask for a cut, but Father Julien had already put it away, just smiled and said the kids thanked me for the donation. It was the right thing to do. Hadta be, cause it felt so wrong.
Next day, I ask Dara if she and Billy want to go to the opera. She said Billy was gonna be working that night, but she'd go with me. I knew Stu or Jake weren't gonna take the tickets, not when there was a fight on tv. And von Braun, he was just gonna ask where the rent was, laugh that I was trying to pay him with opera tix.
Come the night of, I put on my monkey suit, sit there reading the paper. There's a knock at the door. I go answer, and it's Miz Becca wearing a silvery evening gown and a shawl. She apologizes, says Dara got busy, asked her to substitute. Then she asks if I wouldn't mind taking her. I smile at her, and she puts her arm in mine [And, of course, all Trace would tell me was that they had a nice night listening to “Car Men Purina.” -Dara].

No comments:

Post a Comment