Thursday, February 10, 2011

Clara (Five of Twenty)

Soon as he walked in with that sneer that passes for a smile, and his long drawn out steps, I knew it was him. People are backing away soon as he comes near them, lot of em shuddering. He gets a vodka tonic, tilts his sunglasses on his head. Gotta be some joke, this late at night. He's leaning against the bar, casing the club like someone cases a bank. You can see him picking his targets.

Give him credit, he gave me the perfect open. I walk over and ask him about his sunglasses. His eyes are bloodshot, the corners creased like old paper. Pulls them down over his eyes to look at me. Sunglasses on his face make him look 10 years younger. Says it's cause the light hurts his eyes. I squint some more, trying to see if he's kidding or if he believes it.

We start talking about the dames in the bar. He's describing them like things, like I would describe different bourbon in the store. I say I saw him before work his magic, ask him what he's doing. He gives me some cocky smile, says it's a secret I ain't ready to learn yet.

Five appletinis later, he says I'm ready to learn. I ask what happens when the dames turn him down. He says he moves on. Couple days ago, he gets shot down by everyone, till this brunette finally leaves with him. I ask what happened after they left. He says that normally people pay to hear this stuff, and he's gotta keep some secrets. Then he walks away, starts weaving through the crowd.

I start knocking back a few more shots. Don't wanna keep talking to the slob, but I gotta find Clara. I watch him, and he keeps getting turned down left and right. One girl backhands him across both cheeks at the same time. I wanted to buy her a drink.

Near closing time, with all the pretty dames already left, he's still working. Finally gets some dame old enough to be his mom to leave with him. I kill my last shot, which Benny comped me cause I probably gave him more in tips than he gets in 2 nights.

They're touching in the parking lot, groping each other, their lips all tangled, when I pull him off her and pop him in the face. I apologize to the dame, tell her she might wanna leave now and spend the night alone, rather than see what's about to happen. I musta slurred my words, cause she's real confused now. I repeat what I said, pick him up by the collar and cock my fist back. She goes running fast as her heels will take her, click clack click clack.

No comments:

Post a Comment