Sunday, February 6, 2011

Clara (One of Twenty)

Last time I got shot, it stung like someone jammed lit TNT in my side. It was all cause I was rushing, couldn't take a few minutes to stop being a slob. Maybe four years back, Dara's sitting in front of her computer, telling me about some guy she just met, Billy. I'm reading the paper, nodding my head. Figured he was just gonna be another slob end up breaking her heart. She said he was a med student, so I figured he'd be a rich slob eventually breaking her heart. Shows how much I know.

There's 4 sharp raps at my door. Dara opens it. A man and woman, both in business suits, waltz in all confident, like they'd already hired me. I shake Mr. Wellington's hand first. Firm, powerful, perfect business handshake. His silver-framed glasses made him look young, but his slicked back hair makes him look even younger. The white pocket square in his coat, folded just right.

Mrs. Wellington, someone poured her into her suit. Too bad she was one of them lookers couldn't deal with getting old. Fine gams led up to real round breasts. Doc really planted them in there good. Stretched out face lift real fresh, but if she didn't go for maintenance, it'd start to wrinkle again in 10 years. I thought I could almost see the scar tracing near her jaw line where the doctor pulled it all tight. Traces of dark brown started to peek out from her platinum blonde hair. She'd be one of them dames looked good with any hair, maybe even no hair.

I ask em why they made a wrong turn, and where they need directions to. Mrs. Wellington pulled out a folded letter from her purse. I open it, and we stand around Dara's desk looking at it. It was one of em messages made of a bunch of cut out magazine letters. Says that Clara's safe, but they want a fresh 4 mill to return her safe and sound. 10 days, then they start mailing her back home, piece by piece. Also had a pic of her bruised face, tears puffing up her eyes. Got her mom's chestnut colored hair, and probably mom's original face before all that surgery.

With that much flush at stake, I wonder why they come here. Seemed like something they'd want the cops to handle. Cops skim their cut of the 4 mill, find the slobs, everyone gets a front page story, no one gets hurt. The Wellingtons tell me to flip the letter over. Says the kidnappers got a mole on the force. If he hears anything, or if Action News 6 talks about the kidnapping, they start shipping early. They came here cause I won't say nothing to nobody bout nothing. Who'd even believe me?

No comments:

Post a Comment