Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Oscar (Four of Ten)

When I walked out back he told me to be careful, there were still glass bits outside on the porch from the breakin. The Petersons kept a maid and a gardener. Neither of em spoke much english, and the cops already talked to em. What that meant was that the cops got lazy, made a few jokes by adding the letter o to the end of every word, told em to get going.

Couldn't believe how big the servant's quarters were. It was a 2 story house, and inside, just as clean as the main house. We went in, sat down with Consuela the maid and Raul the gardener. They both seemed straight forward, dark skin, weathered hands, clean and simple clothes. She walked slightly bent over, probably from all that dusting under stuff. He had a hitch in his step.

Problem is, only thing I know how to say in spanish is “I am a detective.” That's only because someone told me it's “Soy detective.” Figures the only thing I can say, I can't say cause they'll clam up.

Dara pulls out her computer from her purse, opens it up, starts unfolding bits and pieces. She starts typing, and after a few minutes, it starts speaking spanish. They respond, she types into the screen, waves me and Oscar over. One the screen, she shows us what she just typed, and the thing spits it back out in english.

I ask her how much one of em things costs. She tells me, and I realize I'd be better off letting my fists talk. When you get down to it, everyone speaks violence anyways [Typical Trace response. -Dara].

First thing I asked was how come Consuela didn't find the doc and his wife when it happened. Computer said she said she was at her sister's helping with her sick nephew. She gave me the number.

I asked Raul what he'd been up to in the yard, if he heard anything that night. Said he went with Consuela. His leg kept twitching, he kept looking at me like I was gonna smack him. I asked what was wrong, but Oscar leaned in, told me that their living situation wasn't on the up and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment