Thursday, April 22, 2010

Oscar (Ten of Ten)

I tell Dara if there's gunfire, she's gotta get out the way, shouldn't try to be a hero. I show her Joan, tell her to make sure she never gets in Joan's way. She gets all quiet. I wish that trick worked today, cause ain't no way I can shut her up these days.

We arrive at the Peterson estate. Oscar lets us in. We go straight to the servant house, Dara filling Oscar in.

We pass Raul pulling up weeds in the back. Dara pulls out her computer, starts translating on the lawn. I tell him I know he killed Dr. and Mrs. Peterson. He denies it. I tell him we got evidence. He looks confused. I shake my fist, start punching the air. He shuts his mouth, starts sweating. Like I said, everyone speaks violence.

Truth is, we got no evidence, just a pretty story. Dara starts typing something long in the computer, then speaks for a minute nonstop. I thought his leg twitch was bad before, he looks ready to cry [I merely explained how deportation plus incarceration in his home country was likely a death sentence, and that with advanced scanning technologies, we pulled his finger prints from the gun handle. Technical terms don't translate well, but saying them with confidence does. -Dara].

It was more or less what we thought. He and Sara were working on a side project. That night, the doc was back, shift ended early, no one knew. Heard a noise, got the gun, came to the kitchen. There was a fight, Sara took a bullet to her chest by accident. Doc stopped, real stunned, Raul knocked him down, held the gun to his head. Raul shot him for killing the woman he loved. Made it clear only Raul was in on it, and no one else.

We call the cops. At least they're good for something. After they lead Raul away, Oscar shakes Dara's hand, then wraps me up in a bear hug, lifts me off the ground. Can't stop thanking us, hugging and laughing and crying. I pat his shoulder again.

Before we leave, Dara and me, we go talk to Consuela, looking out her window the whole time, biting her knuckle. She lied for him. She could get in a lot of trouble. I ask her why, and I don't need to wait for Dara's translation. It was love. It's always love.

On the drive home, Dara asked me when we were gonna do something about Consuela. I told her we weren't gonna do nothing. She couldn't believe it, Consuela helped cover it up. I told her one innocent man wasn't going to jail, and a guilty man was. That was enough for a day. Like I said, love makes people do stupid things. I knew how Consuela felt, I'd done plenty of stupid things for love.

No comments:

Post a Comment