Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Clara (Nineteen of Twenty)

We parked a couple blocks away, where we couldn't see the warehouse, but more important, where the warehouse couldn't see us. There wasn't much time, didn't know if Lissa was supposed to check in. Dara had Lissa's phone, and could try to sound real bored like the dame, but we didn't want to risk that. No telling how desperate they were, this close to the drop in half an hour. I left my phone, told Dara to stay put. If I didn't come back in 20 minutes, she should call the cops and drive away.

She grabbed my arm, asked why we didn't just wait for Deke to come out, nab him, get Clara then. I told her we didn't know if he had a car nearby, and if we screwed it up, he'd run back in and use her as a hostage. She went full-on dame on me, but I told her that it was my business, my case, my plan. When she started Dara Leggett Investigations, then she could do it her way. Dara glared at me, but pulled the key out of the ignition. Engine got quiet, just like she did.

I crossed the 2 blocks real careful, keeping out of sight until I could get into the shadows near it. Real dump, broken planks and metal all over. Hard to stay quiet. Couple of beams of light came through holes in the roof, but it made the darkness even darker.

Towards the back, light was coming from a room. I stuck to the walls, trying to see inside, trying not to be seen. I prayed to God almighty my knees wouldn't pop and give me away.

Got closer. I heard a voice. Real deep, more grunts than words. Sounded like the slob was smacking on a sandwich with his mouth open. Tried to guess about where he was in the room, but it sounded like his sound was coming from everywhere in there.

The way the shadows fell, I saw his giant head and jaw working. He was sitting. He was the only shadow. I could see him jawing potato chips into his mouth with his other hand, looked like someone stuffing a turkey. Now or never.

Grabbed Joan by the barrel. I rushed in. He had a second of confusion flash on his giant face before I clocked him in the temple. I followed up by smacking that long scar once, twice. He toppled like a sack of potatoes from his chair.

Jumped on him, got 3 zip ties around his wrists behind his back, then 4 around his ankles. Clara was tied up in the corner, wearing her running shoes, wearing only her running shoes. There was a bedsheet in the corner, real dirtied. The duct tape over her mouth kept moving. She kept honking through her nose, trying to say something. I tore off the tape, removed the sock.

Fireworks went off in my back. I dropped Joan, then dropped to my knees. Clara was just yelling now, no words, just screams.

Felt like I'd been stabbed. She was screaming loud enough to rip my ears away from my head. I turned my head back kinda slow, got another bullet in the ribs for my trouble.

Without the gun, he woulda been a mousey looking guy. Asked me if the Wellingtons sent me, then said it didn't matter. He kicked Joan away, then pistol whipped me in the mouth, cracked a tooth. Told me he was gonna shoot her first so I could watch, then let me bleed out.

I couldn't really move. My body felt like it was tied down with barbed wire, and any move I made would tear me apart. My mouth hurt, and I couldn't speak. Tried mumbling. He took a step forward, leered at Clara, asked me to repeat myself.

That was when Dara clocked him in the back of her head with her purse. He fell on top of me. She took out her computer, smacked him again like it was a golf club. I smiled at her before passing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment