Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Evan (Four of Ten)

Evan in the fine suit, he told us it happened by the docks. Sea's the biggest grave there is. We drove down. I take Dara on field trips to the docks to see her dad. He's Don Leggett, Leggett Shipping. High roller. Sometimes, if I gotta hit Mercy Medical, I take Dara so she can see her fiancee. He's Billy Parker. You don't know him yet, and you probably won't, unless you take a bullet to the gut and survive long enough to make it there. He'll probably yank it outta you.

We drive up to Leggett Shipping, and Dara runs up to her dad. He picks her up at the waist, twirls her like a ballerina. He used to work the docks. Even now, man's made of granite. You sorta see how they're related, but more because of how they act than how they look. Dara's mom was the pretty one in that marriage. With that mustache, Don kinda looks like a walrus [One, this is true. Two, Trace has no room to discuss other people's looks. -Dara].

We shake hands. He crushes mine like white bread. I think it's part because he doesn't really trust me, cause he thinks I'm gonna get Dara in trouble, ruin her marriage, spoil her outlook on life. But I also think it's part because he's just that strong.

I leave them to daddy-daughter time and go check the pier. There's a lot of dried blood on the wood, fish blood, dock worker blood, victim blood. Couldn't tell you how many people had accidents down there. When I try to ask about Jess, all the dock hands clam up. Gonna take a lot more money to pry their mouths open.

No comments:

Post a Comment