Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Father Julien (Four of Five)

Pride makes you do stupid things, like steal free stuff cause you can't look someone in the face, admit you need help. I couldn't blame em, just knew how they felt. Didn't excuse it, though. Understanding and forgiveness are two different things, like I'm sure God almighty knows. We were looking for someone ashamed to be seen, just lost their job, their house, didn't know how to deal with it. All men's clothes went missing. Food enough for one, definitely not for two.

I checked the doors and windows. I got some hairs from Dara, licked them and laid them across the locks last night [I wish he had not revealed that detail. Disgusting. -Dara]. All still there. He wasn't coming in through these, had to be some other entrance.

At this point, I called Dara. Told her we might be looking for some guy probably just lost his job and his house or apartment, mighta just lost his wife. Told her to look for evictions, foreclosures, separations. She told me she'd also look for recent job resumes, see if any jobs come up, cause it was possible they were living paycheck to paycheck, still looking for another job.

Father Julien had to open the church for outreach. I helped em make some sort of hobo stew. Reminded me of my childhood, mom putting together random ingredients in the pot. I also helped with the soup line. Too many grimy faces staring back at me. After a while, I started seeing my face in theirs. I was thankful it wasn't me, at least today. Was that why Father Julien came to me in the first place? Did he recognize me from this line?

Dara was standing next to me the whole time. She kept fidgeting and blowing her hair out of her eyes. I wish she pretended it wasn't so bad. Told her that it was what she wanted, to help out. Besides, I figured she was used to staying up all night [Studying. -Dara].

I took a nap after taking a nip of bourbon, had some more coffee. It wasn't great, but I was ready for another long night. It was a few days since he took any food. He would probably go after that. Father Julien took Dara and her giant bag over to the kitchen. I asked her what was in there, she just said it was some stuff.

Father Julien and me went to the clothes stores. I walked around, sipping coffee, while he kept nodding off and waking up. He had a long day, priesting and all.

Come morning, we walked to the kitchen, find Dara snoring in her sleeping bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment