Thursday, March 18, 2010

Evan (Ten of Ten)

I got greedy stupid. Five g's in your pocket will do that to you. Shouldn'ta taken the case. Felt worse for Dara, even though she didn't care about the money. It was on me to turn Evan down, soon as he opened his mouth. Now because of that, I was taking money out of Dara's mouth.

I still had the number he gave. Dara called and arranged for a meeting. He came in after a couple hours. Same exact suit, but really wrinkled now, like he balled it up in the corner after he took it off. He had a few bloody nicks on his lip and chin, and his hair? Not anywhere near neat.

I handed back the money, told him I couldn't continue with the case, that there was some other stuff came up, and I was sorry. He scratched his ear, and I noticed a bit of plastic sticking out. He snuffled and shifted his feet.

Finally, he told us that he'd still pay for the time we spent working the case. Peeled off five hundred, said through gritted teeth that he insisted. He looked like he might cry any minute. I took it. If I refused again, they might get real angry. He asked what we found, and I told him about the buzz by the docks, that it wasn't much to go on, but it'd have to do. He thanked me and shook my hand. His hand was drenched and clammy.

A day's pay, an honest wage, and it kept Evan from getting shot or worse. I could deal with that. I had to deal with that. I peeled off half, gave it to Dara. Told her to take the rest of the day off, go spend time with Billy, take him out to dinner or something.

I got a couple bottles of bourbon down the street, poured myself a shot when I got back. It went down like jagged glass. I tried to forget that you don't win all the time. A few more shots, and I felt like a champ.

No comments:

Post a Comment